The School Organisation Team is committed to ensuring that the population of Leeds is provided with the right number of school places, in the right location, and at the right time. As a major part of our duties, the team carries out area-based reviews each year. Each review contains a detailed analysis of the area, considering the current and future demographics, new housing developments, the capacity of the schools, the condition and flexibility of school buildings, along with a large amount of other relevant data.
You can view a map of the "Primary Planning Areas" we use, and which schools are in each area here
Many reviews are “desk-based” and conducted without any major change to the schools in an area, however, in a number of cases, a more formal process is required, involving consultation with colleagues, schools, pupils, parents and carers, councillors and the general public.
We are also heavily involved with securing funding for refurbishing or rebuilding schools. Below are links to documentation relating to some of the reviews and consultations that the School Organisation Team are or have been involved with:
Following its meeting on the 4th January 2012, the Executive Board of Leeds City Council approved statutory notices for the proposals below, to expand primary school provision in 2013 and 2014:
- Competition for a new school in Harehills to open September 2013: Approved the publication of an 'invitation to bid' statutory notice for a proposed new 420 place school with a 26 place nursery on land at Florence Street to serve families in that area.
- Competition for a new school in South Leeds to open September 2014: Approved the publication of an 'invitation to bid' statutory notice for a proposed new 420 place school with a 26 place nursery on land at the former South Leeds sports centre to serve families in that area.
- Expansion of Morley Newlands Primary School from September 2013: Approved the publication of a statutory notice for the expansion of Morley Newlands Primary School from 420 pupils to 630 pupils.
Below are the timelines and stages of the competitions for new schools in Harehills and South Leeds:
Documents relating to the consultations that have taken place, including minutes of meetings, copies of responses and the report to the Executive Board, can be found here or on request from The School Organisation Team, 10th Floor West, Merrion House, LS2 8DT, tel: 0113 2243867, email: email@example.com.
There is also a document, put together by the Department for Education which is guidance for people wanting to enter a new school competition.
ARCHIVEThe following consultations are now closed
- Six proposals for expansion of primary provision from September 2012.
The following proposals were approved:
- Increase primary provision in the Meanwood area, by changing the age range and expanding Carr Manor High School.
- Increase primary provision in the Roundhay area, by changing the age range and expanding Roundhay School Technology and Language College using land off Elmete Lane.
- Expansion of Bracken Edge Primary School.
- Expansion of Wykebeck Primary School.
The consultation documentation, statutory notices, reports, and objections are all available on the links above.
If you would like to provide us with feedback on any of the reviews that we are involved with, please fill in the form here and return to us via the e-mail address below or post to the address on the form.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact any member of the team on (0113) 2243867 or through our e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org