Internet Privacy Statement
Personal privacy is of great importance to Education Leeds. Since the formation of the company, protection of your personal information has been paramount. Such concern for your privacy is no different with regard to electronic information as to that which is paper based.
In recognition of our commitment to your privacy we set out the following important points which you should note:
- You do not have to give us any personal or private information about yourself in order to visit our web site;
- If you visit our site just to read or download information, we will collect and store only the following information (web access logs) about your visit. Most organisations maintain these logs as a method of assessing the effectiveness of their websites. These logs do not contain any personal or private information and we do not make any attempt to link the visitor information in the logs with the individuals using our site;
- The name of the domain from which you access the Internet and the Internet Protocol (IP) address or host name, which may or may not identify a specific computer. An IP address is something with which all computers accessing the internet are automatically allocated at point of connection;
- The date and time you accessed our site;
- The pages you visited and information accessed;
- The Internet address of any website from which you linked directly to our site;
- The type of browser software used to access our site;
- We will collect personal or private information only if this is provided specifically and knowingly by you, using an online form or by sending us an email;
- Personal or private information which you provide will be used only for such purposes as are described at the point of collection, or for purposes which are legally permitted;
- We will only share your personal or private information with outside parties in ways that are permitted by this Statement, or if we are required to do so by law, or to comply with a court order;
- We will only retain your personal or private information for as long as is necessary and in accordance with our Record Retention Policy (a copy of which is freely available through our publication scheme which can be found at www.educationleeds.co.uk/pub-scheme/index.asp
Web access logs may be used to prevent security breaches and to ensure the integrity of the data on our servers. The logs are deleted periodically. When you send us an email using the form on our site, we retain a log of the time each message is received by the server; the source and destination address of each message; the time each message is forwarded and the delivery status of each message.
Site Management For site management, information from web access and email logs are collected for statistical purposes. Summary statistics are created which are used for such purposes as assessing the number of visitors to the different sections of our site, what information on our site is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas. This is solely intended to aid us in the improvement of the quality of our site.
Site Security For site security purposes Education Leeds arranges for network traffic to be monitored in order to investigate or detect unauthorised uses such as attempts to upload or change information, to detect attacks on services or other attacks intended to cause damage. This means that when you send us an email, (whether you use the form on our site or otherwise), we could intercept it, or it could be intercepted on our behalf.
LinksOur website contains links to and from other sites. Please note that such other websites may deal with privacy differently to the way Education Leeds deals with this important area. You should note therefore that Education Leeds has no responsibility or liability for the privacy practices or the content of any site to or from which we link.
Education Leeds does not necessarily endorse or support the services or business of those organisations to or from which our site is linked. We cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and we have no control over the availability of such pages. If you decide to access the third party sites linked to our site, you do so at your own risk.
Education Leeds has no right to anyone else’s intellectual property on linked sites. If you wish to link to pages on our site then you should seek our permission first by contacting our webmaster at the following address:
The information contained in these web pages is, to the best of our knowledge, true and accurate at the time of publication and is solely for information purposes. Education Leeds accepts no liability for any loss or damage, howsoever arising as a result of use of or reliance on this information, whether authorised or not.
Cookies A cookie file can contain certain information such as a user ID that a web site can use to track the pages you have visited. We currently use a session cookie to identify where a visitor is at a specific time. This type of cookie is deleted from your computer when you leave our site. If we decide to use additional cookies in the future, we will include full details in this Internet Privacy Statement. However, cookies will not be associated with any personal data or private information. If you would like further information about internet cookies then please visit www.aboutcookies.org.
Security Please note that sending an email or submitting information via an online form cannot be made totally secure. Whilst we strive to protect your personal and private information, Education Leeds cannot guarantee the security of any information in an email or an online form whilst this is being transmitted to us.
Third Party Service Providers Education Leeds may have contracts with other organisations (known as third parties) to provide online services. If we do, we will make sure that:
- they are provided only with the information which they need to carry out the service;
- they agree not to use the information received from us, for any purpose other than that specified by Education Leeds;
- they have proper systems in place to protect personal and private information.
Copyright All intellectual property rights are reserved. Generally, the reproduction or transmission, in any form or by any means, or the storing in any retrieval system of any nature, of any text, graphics, images, film or sound files, code, design or logo is forbidden without our written permission.
If you would like to get in touch with us to request permission to use any material then please contact:
10th Floor West,
Tel. 0113 2224414
Please state clearly the reason why you wish to use the material in question and for what purpose.
Our copyright and other intellectual property rights, are protected by UK laws and by international treaties. However, any text can be downloaded by our customers and citizens free of charge, to file or printer without our permission. This is subject to the material being reproduced accurately and not being re-used or re-published in any way. This permission does not extend to any material on our site which belongs to someone else, for example where it is identified as being the copyright of someone else.
Virus Protection We make every effort to check and test the material on our site. However, it is always wise to run an anti-virus program on all material downloaded from the Internet. Education Leeds cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or to your computer system which may occur as a result of using material from our site.
Disclaimer Whilst we use all reasonable care to ensure that the material on our site is accurate and up to date, Education Leeds cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any loss or claim arising directly or indirectly from any error or inaccuracy in any of the material on this web site.
Contact If you would like to contact us about this Internet Privacy Statement, or if you think any of the information on our site is wrong, or inaccurate, please email us at the following address: email@example.com
Right of Access under the Data Protection Act 1998
Individuals have the right to access information about themselves under the Data Protection Act 1998, subject to certain exemptions which will be assessed on a case by case basis.
The subject access request form is available below:
Subject access request form
Please send requests for access to your information under the Data Protection Act to the Information Policy Section in writing at the address given below.
Information Policy Section,
Knowledge and Technology Team,
10th Floor East,
Leeds, LS2 8DT
Tel: 0113 2477889
Right of Access under the Freedom of Information Act 2000Individuals will have the right to access information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 from the 1st January 2005, subject to certain exemptions which will be assessed on a case by case basis. This right can be exercised from January 2005 by writing to the Information Policy Section at the address shown above for requests under the Data Protection Act.
Education Leeds also has a Publication Scheme on this website which has been approved by the Office of the Information Commissioner. This scheme contains information which we have voluntarily chosen to make freely available (unless a charge applies as otherwise stated). For further information please visit:
Office of the Information Commissioner The Information Commissioner oversees and enforces the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) and the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI). The Commissioner is a UK independent supervisory authority reporting directly to the UK Parliament and has an international role as well as a national one. If you have any concerns regarding this website and how we deal with privacy or access to information then you have a right to request an assessment of our processing. Please see the following web site for further information: www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk
Changes to the Privacy StatementIf we decide to change our privacy statement we will place a notice on our homepage. Regularly reviewing this page ensures you are always aware of what information we collect, how we use it and under what circumstances (if any) we share it with other parties.
This Privacy Statement was last reviewed in July 2004